I think for most people, including myself, China and Chinese people are relatively liberal and modern. Women and men are allowed to have jobs, go to college, choose their partners and so on. Yes, China is still a Communist nation, but we can live with that because they make almost everything we buy and they listen to the U.S. In other words, even tho they aren't Capitalist, they aren't "bad Communist" and they "support freedom."
I think this is very interesting because you hardly ever hear how China is suppressing their women. But the sexualities and expectations of Chinese women (in China and anywhere else in the world) are pretty strictly controlled. Even though women are allowed to go to school and such, they are also expected to want a family and one day drop everything they know to support and raise their children and husband. Women are suppose to remain virgins till marriage and they get passed on from their father's house to their husband's house through marriage ONLY. Almost everything she does is used to judge whether she will be a fit mother and wife.
Sounds like I'm talking about Ancient China, but unfortunately, it's still true today. Even myself, born and raised in NYC, I was raised to believe that to be a "good" Chinese, I'm suppose to have Chinese friends, meet a nice Chinese boy, marry that nice Chinese boy, and then make little Chinese babies. Although my parents have always supported me in my education, they have also stressed the importance of taking care of my family later. It is expected that once I have children, I am to devote all my time (quit my job) to them.
For the longest time, I couldn't argue with them. Even though I didn't believe that that's how it has to be, I know it's their belief and part of their culture. Since these expectations aren't unreasonably demanding, I've had no reason to step up to them. It's interesting because I don't think anyone really criticizes Chinese customs because they aren't as extreme as certain cultures. Even in the Gender Studies sphere, I hear a lot about gender issues in India, Egypt, Iraq, and so on, but barely any from China. It's true that Chinese customs no longer require arranged marriages or forbid women from going to school, but they are not completely liberal either. Although it's important to talk about issues in India and Egypt and so on, it's just as important talking about issues in "liberal" nations like China and even the U.S.
I think this is very interesting because you hardly ever hear how China is suppressing their women. But the sexualities and expectations of Chinese women (in China and anywhere else in the world) are pretty strictly controlled. Even though women are allowed to go to school and such, they are also expected to want a family and one day drop everything they know to support and raise their children and husband. Women are suppose to remain virgins till marriage and they get passed on from their father's house to their husband's house through marriage ONLY. Almost everything she does is used to judge whether she will be a fit mother and wife.
Sounds like I'm talking about Ancient China, but unfortunately, it's still true today. Even myself, born and raised in NYC, I was raised to believe that to be a "good" Chinese, I'm suppose to have Chinese friends, meet a nice Chinese boy, marry that nice Chinese boy, and then make little Chinese babies. Although my parents have always supported me in my education, they have also stressed the importance of taking care of my family later. It is expected that once I have children, I am to devote all my time (quit my job) to them.
For the longest time, I couldn't argue with them. Even though I didn't believe that that's how it has to be, I know it's their belief and part of their culture. Since these expectations aren't unreasonably demanding, I've had no reason to step up to them. It's interesting because I don't think anyone really criticizes Chinese customs because they aren't as extreme as certain cultures. Even in the Gender Studies sphere, I hear a lot about gender issues in India, Egypt, Iraq, and so on, but barely any from China. It's true that Chinese customs no longer require arranged marriages or forbid women from going to school, but they are not completely liberal either. Although it's important to talk about issues in India and Egypt and so on, it's just as important talking about issues in "liberal" nations like China and even the U.S.
No comments:
Post a Comment