Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Breaking Bad and Masculinity

I've recently started watching Breaking Bad because of the hype (yes, hypes get to me).  It is a good show but more importantly, I think that this show is a really good example of how masculinity is dangerous for men.
I think often times in Feminism and Gender studies, there is a pure focus on the exploitation and consumption of femininity (I'm in no way saying that it's wrong or that I don't believe there should be focused research on women in our society).  However, since our society mainly operates in binary, it makes sense to also understand the production and reproduction of masculinity.  Yes, male privilege is very real, but I also think it comes with a very big price.  I'm not sure if Breaking Bad meant to address this issue but I think it really illustrates the dangers of trying to play the role of "the man."  
For those who haven't seen the show yet, here is a short synopsis and spoilers:
Walter White, an over qualified high school chemistry teacher, learns that he has 3rd Stage inoperable Lung Cancer.  To help his family secure financial stability after his death, he partners up with his former student to cook Crystal Meth (Methamphetamine).  Things accelerate very quickly and he gets trapped in this super complicated and violent drug scene.
At the beginning of the show we learn that Walt is a dedicated father and husband who works several jobs to keep his family above water.  However, after he learns about his illness, the pressure to provide for his family (even after his death) pushes him over the edge.  He gets involved in an extremely violent drug scene to make the money.  He also starts hiding secrets from his family, treat people more aggressively and violently, and gives up some of his morals and values.  Eventually, his family starts to desert him because of his secrets and changes.  There is also a significant amount of peer pressure in the show.  There are many times where his brother-in-law and son calls him a "pussy" and asks if he's "a man" when questioning his behavior and actions.  A employer even pressured him into taking a job by telling him that as a man, it's his sole responsibility to provide to his family, even if they don't want it.  Clearly the language provides us with an extreme display of masculinity and what it can do to a person.
Even though I'm not sure how much this show translate to reality, I'm sure the belief that it's a man's responsibility to provide for his family (no matter what he has to do) is not uncommon.  It becomes important to break apart these responsibility from the identity of masculinity to prevent tragic plots from becoming a reality.

Another thing I want to add is this poster I found just now:
I thought this poster is a very good portrayal of Walt's position.  His wife is a stay at home mom (also pregnant) with a teenage son suffering from Cerebral Palsy.  Both his wife and his children are helpless and they need him to protect and provide for them.  Even though he is sick, he cannot show his suffering and needs because he is the "head of the house."  He's put front and center and he's required to prove his masculinity to his family and to the world.

No comments: