My parents are immigrants from China so they have always been extremely strict with my sister and me. There are rules about almost everything, but one of the few things they stressed the most were body piercings and tattoos. My sister and I each got our first set of earrings when we were very young. It allowed us to wear pretty earrings all our lives. However, as we got older, we want more piercings (at least I did). Maybe an other set of earrings above our 1st set or one on our cartilage. We never wanted anything crazy like a nipple ring or even tongue rings, but it become clear very early on that any other piercings besides the one we already have are unacceptable. My parent's reason? They make you look inappropriate and low classed (roughly translated from Chinese). For a long time, I've dreamed of getting more piercings and maybe a tattoo or two (if I ever get over my fear for the pain!); but, I've never thought of actually getting them.
A few months ago, I got a belly ring with a few of my friends. Yes, it was an act of rebellion but unfortunately it was also a secret act of rebellion. To this day, my parents still don't know I have the ring and I intend on keeping it that way. I've also been obsessed with getting some tattoos, but again, I will probably have to wait until I'm no longer under my parent's roof. The reason I'm talking about tattoos and piercings today is because I don't think I'm the only person with this issue. It's also not an issue that is unique to Asian families. Even in America, many people are averted towards tattoos and other body markings. Some are even appalled by them. I found this meme recently that I thought was perfect:
A few months ago, I got a belly ring with a few of my friends. Yes, it was an act of rebellion but unfortunately it was also a secret act of rebellion. To this day, my parents still don't know I have the ring and I intend on keeping it that way. I've also been obsessed with getting some tattoos, but again, I will probably have to wait until I'm no longer under my parent's roof. The reason I'm talking about tattoos and piercings today is because I don't think I'm the only person with this issue. It's also not an issue that is unique to Asian families. Even in America, many people are averted towards tattoos and other body markings. Some are even appalled by them. I found this meme recently that I thought was perfect:
If one sees someone with tattoos all over their face or any other place that can't be covered, one would probably assume that this person doesn't have a job or is poor. Even if one sees a tattoo that one might think is beautiful or is really cool, the reaction would probably be: "that's cool, but I can't do that."
Why is there such a negative reaction towards body markings? What does it mean when it's acceptable if you can cover it during "formal" or "professional" settings? I've always wondered where this idea, that when your body is marked, then it is no longer beautiful, comes from. To me, tattoos and piercings are just tools for people to identify and express themselves. The only difference between body markings and a necklace or a ring is that they aren't permanent. But what's wrong with that? Yes, you might regret a tattoo later, but is it any one else's right to judge you because you want your mom's name or some stars on your arm?
1 comment:
When I was younger, I used to think that piercings and tattoos were cool, but not for me. Currently, I sport one tattoo I got a few years ago on the inside of my right wrist and I love it!
Post a Comment