I just completed my first week at my new job as a case manager in a women's mental health homeless shelter. I have to say... I'm so damn tired everyday but I really like it. I never count the seconds till work is over and I'm really enjoying myself. Of course, nothing have really happened during my shifts (aka no police were called or fights have occurred) and it has only been a week, so maybe I'll get burnt out, maybe I'll hate it, maybe I'll get bored, maybe I'll love it forever, who knows. But one thing for sure is that I have learned how fucking privileged my whole life has been and god damn, I am grateful. For a long time, I've know that I have led an extremely privileged life, but seeing the ladies at the shelter... I am soooooooooooo god damn grateful for everything I have and don't have!!! Because although I love my job, at the end of the day, I get to walk away from all the drama and go back to my comfortable life.
So here is my list of privileges and things I'm grateful for:
1. A home and my family! My parents are evil sometimes but I know I should be more grateful for them. For providing a great home, for feeding me great food and for taking such good care of me! Thanks mom and dad, nancy, and relatives!!
2. Education! I've graduated, I'm probably going back to school next fall. I've always been a good student, my parents have done everything in their power to make sure of that. I've gotten a lot of support over the years from counselors, advisors, teachers/ professors, peers,etc. I'm also very grateful for MHC (but y'all definitely have a lot of issue!!) for all the opportunities and support. And because of my education, I know I'll find a job I like.
3. My race. Gotta say, being Chinese really got me a lot of shit and gave me some opportunities too!
4. Not having any major health issues! Cuz god knows there ISN'T much
support out there :(
5. My boyfriend and my friends (Sorry, you're 5th. This list isn't really ranked) I know you'll be there for me and I'm very grateful for all the support you've given me already!
6. Not being in debt. Let's me real, money sucks and owing money sucks the worst
7. This is a privilege that I've noticed in the past few days that intersects with above stuff: trust in authorities. Police and other authorities are not amazing (by not amazing, I mean crap) when it comes to dealing with homeless people, POC, mentally ill people, non documented people, etc. I'm privilege because I know they will respond to me. They will listen to my side of the story and I can probably trust them to help me when I need it. Because I'm Chinese, non homeless, healthy, dressed well, and speak English.
There are def more but that is it for now. I wrote this list because I want to see (in writing) how lucky I've been and how my luck also means that so many other people, who don't have my privileges, are suffering! I want to changed that! And that's one of the reason I went into Social Work. I don't want people that weren't born with certain things or have lost these supports to be left on their own. Because I certainly didn't "make it on my own" so why should they?
1 comment:
i love this post and i love you and appreciate you. you are fantastic in every way, and i'm sure you're going to do some great work in the future, work that will be refreshingly free of any savior complexes and instead just really honest and thoughtful. that's my goal too. hope we both succeed. <3
Post a Comment